Hi Dark,
The one limitation of the GMA game engine is that it was designed to be a first person shooter. Yes, you can have variables tracking your stats and adjusting them but it was not designed for multiple players or for you to switch classes or races at the beginning. As in tank commander, you can control other friendly computer controlled players but you only have a few ways to control them. I have Sarah asking help from Dobby based on what items she has not picked up on a floor and do a random help statement from Dobby to help her.
Phil

To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Tuesday, January 13, 2009 6:14 AM
Subject: [Audyssey] Gma engine Audio rpgs

Hi tom.

The principle reason I thought the gma engine might do an rpg game is to do
with the way certain things worked in shades and Sarah.

It can manifestly hanndle talking to characters (even with random speeches
like the 2 way mirror in Sarah), shops keys and locks.

This is the bulk of the exploration part of an rpg.

for the offensive part, it can handle armor, hp weapons with various ranges,
a variety of monsters which drop items when killed.

Put all these together and you already have enough to make an action rpg
similar to some of the zelda games, ---- which do not have character
leveling.

I'm sure Phil will correct me on this if I'm wrong, but it also occurs to me
that to level characters, all you need to do at base is to have the
strength, armor, or amo of specific weapons, ---- ie, mana for spells,
increase according to either an enemy's killed statistic or completion of
some other goals, ---- such as finishing quests.

If stat increases must be tied to collection of items, then some work around
such as collection of magic christals from defeated monsters could be
used, ----- and then have stat increases at various points, strength
increase at 100 christals for example).

If stat increases need to be tied to having certain armor or weapons, then
simply use a shop.

this is why I say that the Gma engine could make an rpg, ---- and if the
genesis engine has some of the same atributes, it might be able to as well.

Appologies if I've got something incredibly wrong here, I'm just basing this
on what I've seen the gma engine do thus far in shades and sarah, and
breaking down an rpg conceptually.

Beware the grue!