Hi,
Searching various fan based wikis is a great way to get up to speed with a certain character in a hurry. Even though I read a lot of comics as a kid and am familiar with most DC and Marvel characters I was suprised there were quite a few I knew nothing about. That was either because they added that character after I went blind or the character played a very miner roll in the comic books to begin with. Wikipedia and other resources was an invaluable resource on getting up to speed.

Shadow Dragon wrote:
Wiki for the win! Hehe.

Seriously though, all you really have to do is input the name of a marvel character and follow it with wiki and you'll 9 times out of 10 get a detailed wiki entry. I found out about a lot of dc characters this way, even the rather obscure ones. Maybe I should research the marvel ones as such?