It does fly with me. I would not be swimming with a drawn weapon, as it takes away a hand used for getting me through the water. A drawn weapon takes away the use of that hand for anything other than weapon aiming or firing. Want to climb a rope single handed? Also, there may be times when you do not want to pick up an item. If they are automatically picked up, you're going to have to drop those you didn't want to pick up. Which is more practical and realistic?

---
If guns cause crime, pencils cause misspelled words.
----- Original Message ----- From: "James Dietz" <james.j.di...@gmail.com>
To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Tuesday, February 24, 2009 7:43 PM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] about torches - Re: mota demo

Guys,

Having a torch which is constantly running out would give the game a
sense of urgency - especially if most of the rooms are dark as Tom
says.  Besides... when would you really think to blow out your torch?
In my opinion, this is just another feature the game doesn't need to
be fun (I guess I'm going to have to agree to disagree with Tom about
enter-to-pick-up-stuff).  Too many keys and featuresto remember result
in a less fluid and enjoyable experience.  Remember the player is
going to be jumping around, killing monsters and scooping treasure.
Are they going to take the time out to remember to blow out their
torch (or hit enter to pick up an item, holster their weapon to jump
over a pit)?  Keeping track of such boring figures isn't exciting,
it's tedius.  The realism (or ... unrealism for this feature I
suppose) argument doesn't fly with me.

James

Hi Charles,
You could use t as a toggle to light and put out the torch with appropriate
sound effects, and control t to tell how much torch life you have left.