well in cases like ladders and such I find it easier to jump over a monster to
kill it especially when I need to switch guns although I try to not do that
like running out of amo.
however I can't always do this.
YOu can never kill a monster if its right there in front of you, got to be
carefull about range, to close and you can't get it but sometimes you can.
you also earn what weapon can nock out the most monsters.
In general your pistol can knock out most things, but more powerfull guns, like
the shotgun can destroy monsters at longer range.
your arrows can get rid of bosses quickly, and the sword is good at close range
with just about anything.
your knife is useless but usefull if you don't have anything else.