Hi Allan,
Thanks for the suggestions. It does seam as though more people are in favor of a stand alone, turn based, roll playing game apposed to an online game. I certainly have the technical skill and knowledge to do so, but at the cost of more time and energy. If a number of people really do want a stand alone turn based game I have no problem with sticking with that format for the game. As far as switching to a different genre or theme like science fiction that is a very good suggestion. For one thing there is more room to expand on the game world or game universe by adding aliens, robots, high tech weaponry, etc where the triditional roll playing games such as Dungeons and Dragons, Heroes Might and Magic, and so on have been there and done that so to speak. Everything that can be done has probably been done already in the fantacy genre. For example, one of the problems I had early on was finding a title for the game that wasn't already copyrighted. I went through a dozen names only to find out through a google search that some big commercial company had already copyrighted that name. If I used it I could get fried for copyright infringement even though it would be accidental rather than on purpose. The problem is the mainstream market is saturated with Dungeons and Dragons clones, and a small time developer like me can stumble into a mine field of copyright infringement suits. Another aspect about using modern or science fiction roll playing would be the availability of sound effects. It is easy enough to get laser sounds, explosions, electronic background ambience loops, etc. It is somewhat harder to get good quality fantacy sounds like spells, swords, knives, axes, etc.

Allan Thompson wrote:
Hi Tom,
It looks like a pretty good idea. I can't pretend to understand all the technical mumbo jumbo, but it looks to me like you make a game, sell it, and charge a subscription to keep playing it online, like Ever Quest or World of Warcraft. It sounds highly customizable for programmer and gamers alike and so you might have a nice RPG to add to your catalog.

Personally, I like the stand alone, turn based RPG, with a major storyline. I like to make one or more characters with lots of options and customization, who go from a weak to strong progression in power and items, solving miniquests, and challenging tactical battles ending up with the climatic showdown. I am not sure how that lines up with your vision, because most online things I have toyed with seem to be simply, kill, loot, repeat when necesary.

Lastly, I just wanted to put a bug in the ear of you and everyone reading, I would love to see the turn based rPG game evolve into other genres. It would be neat to have science fiction, Post Apocalyptic, western, supernatural, or modern day based RPG.

al