I wasn't really suggesting anything. Mostly I was just rambling about my take on roleplaying games. Certainly the only way I can think of to do skills checks and such is through dice rolls or other forms of random number generation, aside from leaving all skill and strategy up to the player as I've seen in a couple muds, which under no circumstances would lend itself well to an RPG I think. In any case I'm looking forward to your game and I wasn't really putting forward anything spacific in regards to it, mostly just throwing my two cents out there. For the record I know what an RPG is, all I was trying to get across is that there's a lot of different types and different amounts of control, since it seems like a lot of people on this list use the term RPG in regards to pen and paper style games, whereas a lot of times I hear it used to describe strictly grinder style games where pretty much all the characters are the same, or games where you have no control over character creation but simply play it. Most likely I'm just rambling nonsense, I'm far from an expert on the subject.
From: "Thomas Ward" <thomasward1...@gmail.com>
Sent: Thursday, July 16, 2009 10:01 PM
To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] Creating Roll Playing Games From Scratch

Hi Shadow Dragon,
I'm not really sure what you are suggesting. While it is true the conceptual ideas of rpg style games is changing, especially in terms of audio/video games, but the basic concept of a roll playing game is to assume a character roll within an imaginary world, complete various quests, train skills, and so on. Game books are probably closest to traditional paper and pen roll playing that we have. In such a case the game mechanics are similar to traditional paper and pen games. I do agree that rolling a dice to perform skill checks, roll attacks, etc isn't very realistic, but given that the rpg type games began with paper and pen that was the only way to randomly determine an outcome. If you have a suggestion on how to improve performing skill checks, attacks, etc let me know. Otherwise I think the game mechanics set out by traditional rpg games seams sufficient for our needs.

Smile.