Hi Shaun,
Well, there is no way I know of to do it from the web site, but I know
some setup/installers do allow you to do version matching/comparison.
Microsoft's Advanced Setup Installer allows you to check for things
such as .NET, specific DirectX versions, etc but Advanced Setup
Installer isn't free. It costs a pretty penny to purchase, and needs
to be upgraded from time to time to stay current with version
releases. That's one reason I use free setup tools like Inno Setup
instead.
I think the best low cost alternative here is to install the free
DirectX update wizard with the games. That way if the end user runs it
all they need to do is download and install the components that need
upgraded or installed.  The wizard will figure out what needs to be
done, and they can just sit back and relax while it does its job.This
is a better solution than bundling a 300 MB setup file on the web site
for DirectX.

Cheers!