Hi Dark,
Agreed. If we have to compare audio games to something let us try and
compare them to the small independant mainstream game market for the
PC. Although, it might be challenging it is at least something a one
to three man operation can achieve realistically. Those small
companies aren't trying to beat out Capcom or Nintendo, and neither
should we.
If we have to use Nintendo or somebody as a standard then let's aim
for the quality and standards of say the Super NES era. While old by
mainstream standards it would be extremely high considering the
majority of accessible games. there is nothing wrong with games like
Super Donkey Kong, Super Castlevania, Megaman, and other games of that
era. Even now I find games like that enjoyable, and my wife and son
enjoy them too.  Just because something is old and isn't the latest
and greatest doesn't make it necessarily bad.
As you mentioned yourself Chess is very old, but is still one of the
most enjoyable board games around. The rules haven't changed in 800
years or something like that. Should we now decide that it is old and
add new pieces, create a larger board, change the rules, etc just
because it hasn't been updated in so long? Of course not.
Same holds true for vidio games. Just because Super Castlevania is old
doesn't mean it is necessarily bad. It is true that it can't quite
compare to newer encarnations like the later roll playing Castlevania
games, but it still deserves to be considered a good game in its own
right. Judge it for the quality it is rather than trying to judge it
soully on what it lacks compared to modern games.

Smile.