Well Tom, it's odd sinse because of my lack of site it's really the Super nes era of games that I'm stuck in graphically myself, ---- in fact I'm replaying through Super Castlevania Iv on the Snes at the moment myself so that was some impressive mind reading.

I stil do happen to think that what is produced accessible games wise is slightly behind the independent games generally.

I can for instance think of three game examples off the top of my head which involve not just a litle but a huuuuuge amount of user created content, quite literally thousands of levels some in completely different style to the original with extra graphics and sounds.

See for instance http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocks%27n%27Diamonds or http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turrican#Hurrican

As people have pointed out though, this is something of late which games like Railracer, entombed sound rts etc are very much trying to remedy.

It's also worth remembering that a lot of tools are available for those who program independent graphical games, everything from the open gl libraries to create graphcics etc, to specific game engines (like the rocks n diamonds engine), which may be used to create not only extra content, but actual games as well.

This is another reason why bgt is such a helpful thing, and such a good step in the right direction, considdering similar products have been available to producers of graphical independent games, ----- well right back to the 1980's!

Beware the grue!