Hello,
I'd like to chime in my two cents on this issue. This is just my
opinion take it for what it's worth.
First of all, i agree with everything regarding the difficulty of
changing a law. If your an individual, frankly forget it. NFB, ACB,
and AFB, they won't take on a single person's task, casen point I had
$5000+ worth of assistive technology in a bag illegally seized and
destroyed, the perpetrators just lied to an official investigation and
i'm still out. I took the situation to both the state and national NFB
and ACB, neither would assist me. My point is unless it's an issue
effecting the as Thomas put it 80%+ of blind individuals it's not
financially feasible for them to do so. Frankly, it's rubbish, but
it's also reality.
As far as the issue of games vs. books I really don't see where we're
doing so great in the books category either. Please don't take this
next comment as a slight on bookshare, for it certainly is not and is
not intended to be, I am a bookshare member myself and enjoy the
service having also recommended it to several friends. I'm going to
speak of college textbooks, and while it's true bookshare does have
some, they don't have all, and they don't have the fifth edition of x
book but only the third, whereas the profesor wants edition five and
won't consent to you having an older edition of the book, forget the
fact that 90% of the text probably hasn't changed. To get it in an
accessible format, last time I went through college, I had to pay the
full price for a print book just to take that to disability services,
said sarcastically, just so they not me could contact the publisher
and get that book on disk, the publisher won't talk to me directly.
And does it come in that day, oh no, six weeks. I hope this has
changed.
Sorry, i didn't mean to get on a soap box with that  last one, but it
iritates me when people say things are easy to do and they are not.
Collaboration, as Thomas mentioned there are Linux utilities out there
that can do source code control but there are also windows
equivalents. I would recommend a source code control system such as
cvs or subversion for any project whether it's a single individual, or
two or more in a collaborative effort. As for setting up a web site
that's easy enough to do, paypal donations are no problem, i'm doing
both of those at the moment, the point is there are ways to make it
all come together. Skype for example can be used for computer to
computer calls if there's a time zone difference between developers or
long distance charges are a concern. It is possible in my opinion for
two or more individuals to work on games, as for standardized language
I don't think there is one, but if both developers are confident and
competent with C++ for example, use that as your standardized
language.
Just my two cents.
Dave.