Hi Milos and all,

Well, let's put it this way. I think every audio game developer out
there writes the games he or she does is because they want to. We all
have our own personal motivations for creating the games we do, and it
usually isn't because of money. Jim Kitchen writes games like
Monopoly, NFL, Hangman, etc simply because that is the kinds of games
he likes and wants to play. David Greenwood has created games like
Shades of Doom, Lone Wolf, Time of Conflict largely because those are
the kinds of games he wanted to play and made some extra money off of
them too. I'm not so different. I create the games I do because I want
too not because I am in it strictly for the money although I do like
making a little extra money on the side for my time, effort, and to
help pay for the sounds and music for the games.

However, when it comes to Mysteries of the Ancients that is a special
case. I originally assumed development of Montezuma's Revenge simply
because it was a game that I had played often as a kid, happened to
enjoy, and wouldn't mind creating an audio remake of it. Plus James
North had taken a lot of money for the game, and was not able to
complete it so I took  it over. However,when it seamed I was getting
close to a final release I got the screws put to me by the copyright
holders and had to abandon the project.  I then was put in the
position of replacing the game with something of equal or better
value.

Well, as it happens I was drawing up plans for a game I simply called
Tomb Hunter that was to be largely based on Tomb Raider, but would
feature its own unique story, main character, etc. With little choice
I decided to tell people about the new game and let people know what I
was willing to replace Montezuma's Revenge with. Right away people
started complaining about the fact the game I had planned on replacing
Monte with was an FPS game not a side-scroller as originally planned
etc. A few told me outright if I didn't create a side-scroller or
whatever they wanted their money back, I was being dishonest, and so
on. That's when
You could say I was really caught between a rock and a hard place. I
couldn't give everyone their money back because I didn't have all of
it. James North took several preorders, and as part of the trade
agreement he got to keep the money for the preorders in exchange for
the games Alchemy was creating. As a result I couldn't give back money
I never had in the first place. I also could not create one of the
games because I just got told by the copyright holder to stop
development or face the possibility of having my butt dragged into
court and getting sued for copyright infringement. Then, I had a game
idea I was realy interested in creating, was willing to release it to
the preordered customers only to be told that people didn't like it
because it wasn't a side-scroller. So I created the game as a
side-scroller as a compromise.

However, that doesn't mean I was happy about it. I've never been happy
about it, and nor will I ever be happy about it. It is just I wanted
to create the game one way, but on the other hand I had about $2,000
worth of preordered customers who wanted something else. I certainly
owed them something so felt no choice but to create the game they
wanted rather than the one I wanted. When that happened all the
enjoyment of creating the game went out the window, and it simply
became work. Nothing more and nothing less.

Considering the fact I started USA Games to do as a hobby, to do for
fun, basicly for recreation I didn't consider writing games like STFC
or Montezuma's Revenge as work. With Mysteries of the Ancients that is
all it is to me work. It is nothing but work, work, and more work with
no personal enjoyment. I get no pleasure out of creating games I don't
want to create. That is the reason I am so angry and frustrated with
the way things have turned out. I wish people would have just taken
the game I was going to create and not made a big deal over if it was
another side-scroller or an FPS game.

Cheers!