Hi Ron,
Torches don't have anything to do with you jumping. I'm not sure what
your problem is, but next time you want to jump use control+w to make
sure your weapons are properly holstered so they don't get in your way
when jumping the chasms. Also you might want to use the v key to make
sure the chasm is 0 meters away. Other than that hold down the
control+arrow key until you safely make it to the other side.

HTH