Hi Thomas,
I added a simulated third dimension to the Sarah game which happens when she is flying on her broom. I imagine she is about 10 feet in the air so the Caretaker, Goblin or Trolls can't reach her, but the flying Peeves and ghosts can/ Plus there are a few items she can't get to unless on the broom like trap doors in the ceiling. The only thing I restrict her from picking up while on the broom are the coins left on the floor. All this is done with a few variables rather than creating a third dimension.
Phil

To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Friday, June 25, 2010 6:27 AM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] Important MOTA News

Hi Damien,
That's another thing people make a mistake about. Shades of doom is
actually a 2d fps not 3d fps because there is no up/down movement in
the game. There is only north, south, east, and west directions, an
x/y axis,  which restricts it to a 2d plain. My new fps version of
MOTA will have a true 3d environment with an x, y, and z axis of
movement.
Anyway, like I said I've decided to simplefy the levels somewhat since
I know a lot of people complained about the way Shades of Dooms levels
are laid out. It will be hard enough for some gamers to get use to a
full 3d environment without turning it into a complicated maze as
well.

Smile.