Hi Karl,
Well, if you think about it realisticly you have to have a little
space to perform any kind of attack. If you have a big weapon like a
shotgun you have to have enough room between you and the target to
point the barrel of the shotgun at the enemy. That's why every weapon
has a minimum and maximum range.
As for a special sound to indicate you are poisoned what exactly would
that be? When Angela's health gets low she starts breathing hard, and
if you hear a harpy claw you your chances are good she poisoned you
with her claws. That's a well known harpy attack from mythology.

Smile.