Hi Tiffany,

Well, if you are serious about writing your own games there are
definitely a couple of routes you can take.

If you don't mind purchasing an accessible game engine like BGT Philip
Bennefall has been developing a general purpose game engine for the VI
community called BGT. The nice thing about BGT is that he has used an
off the shelf scripting language such as Angelscript and wrapped it
around a C++ engine that supports Microsoft Sapi, DirectX, etc
allowing you to focus on programming your games without worrying about
all the really low-level programming like handling things like audio,
input, and TTS support from scratch. For a totally new programmer BGT
is the best way to go if you are looking at any sort of introduction
to programming accessible games.

However, if you are interested in a general purpose programming
language like C++, Python, or Java and don't mind learning the nuts
and bolts of programming games from scratch there is an online
programming service I use
http://safari.oreilly.com
that is a commercial programming resource with hundreds of e-books on
anything and everything under the sun. If you pay for a subscription
for the Safari service you can litterally go from a self-taught
beginner to advanced programmer in a fairly short amount of time, and
unlike a classroom environment you can go at your own pace.

Cheers!