Hi Thomas,
I think there are a few reasons to see a movie or read a book on the first day.
No one can spoil it for you.
And you won't be reading reviews of it before reading or seeing it.
When I sat down in the Ziegfeld theater in New York for the first showing of Star Wars the first movie, I got goose bumps watching as the text scrolled off the screen and seeing than gigantic space ship flying over my head and flying off into the distance, and then being floored by the even larger space ship that was firing on it. I had little to no expectations on what the movie was about except for the movie posters and adds in the paper. I think it was of Luke standing in the middle holding a light saber, with little pictures of the other characters and the Millennium Falcon off in the corners.