To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Thursday, March 17, 2011 6:58 AM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] Reviewing space in audio

Hi Dark,

That is quite a number of interesting points you raised here. I happen
to agree with you on all points. In fact, this is in large part why
Mysteries of the Ancients beta 18 is taking so long to release. I
decided to go back in and rewrite some of the various game mechanics
such as jumping to resemble that of the classic NES era games where
the longer you hold down the jump button/keys the higher and further
the main character will jump. As you said this requires a lot more
skill and judgment of how long to hold down the buttons or keys before
releasing them.

As you know in beta 17 and earlier I had a very simple jump system in
place where all you needed to do is press control+left arrow or
control+right arrow and Angela would safely land on the other side of
the pit, chasm, fire, lava, whatever just about every time. However,
not only was that very easy it was also pretty boring. So what I did
is I completely redesigned the jump mechanics to be more like classic
NES games like Super Mario where you now have to time your jumps in
order to make it safely to the other side of a trap. there have been a
number of times where I have over estimated a jump or under estimated
the length of a jump and Angela ended up impailed on a bronze spike,
took a bath in hot boiling lava, or got roasted over a huge fire pit.

For instance, one of the traps in the game is a large lava pit with a
stone ledge hanging out over the middle of the pit. The trick to
getting over the lava pit is to jump from one side of the pit up onto
that hanging stone ledge, and jump from there to the other side of the
pit. As you might have guessed this takes perfect timing and percision
to do it correctly. If you misjudge the length of the jump Angela is
going to have a very hot bath in lava. If you don't jump far enough
Angela will not reach the ledge and fall into the lava. If you hold
down the keys too long she'll jump over the stone ledge and land in
the lava anyway. The key to successfully making it is listening very
carefully to the drip, drip, drip, of the water dripping off that
ledge and judge your jump as best as you can. This way insures you use
both some skill and personal judgement to figure out how far and
howlong to jump rather than Angela just landing on that ledge as soon
as she is close to it as the game use to.

So what you are suggesting here is very possible. I've been practicing
with some of these ideas you suggested in beta 18, and I think it
would be cool if more games started doing this as well. It makes
jumping far more tricky and takes practice to get just right. I've
learned from my own experience with MOTA beta 18 you won't get it
right your first try in a lot of cases.

As far as changing pitch of pits and stuff that's another good idea. I
should probably put that down in my things to do list for beta 18. You
have a point that the deeper the sound of the pit the larger the pit.
The higher the sound the smaller it is and you should be able to
determine its size by pitch alone rather than just using a look/view
command to gather that information all the time.

Cheers!