Hi Phil.

i agree this would be a good thing (though the business about damage for over jumping seems unnecessarily harsh to me), but I think your over complicating the situation more than it would need to be.

As I said, the relative width of pits could be shown by altering the pitch of the sound. Say for instance a pit you could jump normally from the edge (to use your example a five foot or less), would have a high pitched wind sound, a pit which was jumpalbe with a long jump has a medium, and a pit which was not jumpable at all has a low ominous wind.

A standard two step boundry would be more than enough even when running given the speed of character movement to tell you when your on the edge of a pit, ---- heck, many people like myself play games like Q9 with the run button perminantly held anyway.

As for jump hight relative to button pressing, well rail racers' jets are a perfect example of this.

Of course, the player would need to practice and learn how long he/she has to hold the button for a given jump, but that is in fact my point, that many audio games would be considderably more addictive and interesting if they did! give the player a skill and form of jugement to learn by calculating their characters movement according to the environment, rather than by working on a basic stimulous response model.

Of course, starting easy (or non fatal), and getting harder would just be part of the experience.

Beware the Grue!