Hi Ken,

Yes, if you know what you are doing you can simulate a 3d effect
simply by using some calculations to position the sound in the stereo
field and to have the volume roll off correctly. A couple of years ago
I was looking at writing the Genesis 3D engine in Java. The only
problem was that the Java Sound API only has very generic effects such
as panning and volume. So what I did is I wrote my own 3d audio
wrapper that calculated the position of the sound and set the stereo
pan to position the sound in relation to the player. I used a simple
logarithmic function to calculate the volume and had it roll off more
smoothly/correctly. I have to say the 3d effect wasn’t bad and that
was using just simpley stereo pan and gain controls. However, that is
rather simplistic compared to what something like XAudio2 can do.

With XAudio2 you can actually set the volume for each channel/speaker
individually, and fine tune the 3d effect much more precisely than
DirectSound or something like the Java Sound API will allow for.
That’s why XAudio2 has largely replaced DirectSound for current PC and
Xbox game developers. It does much more than muffle sounds when they
are behind you it allows you to control how the effect sounds in each
and every channel of output at the same time. It also allows you to
mix and blend sounds to produce a more interesting effect.  Those are
just a few things that makes XAudio2 far superior to say DirectSound.

Cheers!