Yeah and thats not cheap.
Currently I am sorting out a good mic solution for my brother who needs it for draggon.
He can't afford it even in our currency.
So its cracked right now.
I am desperately looking for a price which is not 330 bucks which is what he needs. I have managed to save 80 on an academic which the shops seem to have or at least one online store has, but the 250 bucks is not my issue. the mic hardware is another thing all together and ties in with the hardware thing you were discussing.
A simple mic costs 150 bucks for speech recognition from that place.
However usb is another 250 at least and most of them are in the 500-2000 dollar range.
Its a mission.
On the subject of gaming hardware, there is also space issues.
With my desk as it is with all my drives, cooling unit and shelf on it there is barely room for the 2 speakers of the sub below it. Although in theory I could stack the 5.1 stuff on top of it it would be a rather big stack.
Then there is the question of environment as well as hardwre.
I am next to a room which has my brother and dad systems in it and often they are working and have their own music. I can't vary well blast down the house so though I have 2.1 here i hardly am able to use it. The only real hardware which I have is pair of senheiser sets with some bass and good stereo semi 3d sound. The hd card in the system helps, but with any really good card costing loads putting in to the mix that it will have to be a usb card as although I could have pcmcias the cabling would get in the way. in fact I need to get another hub since cables on the ports of my system get in the way of things so there is no real compromise.
And then there is the cost of actual hardware ofcause.
Most don't have gaming mice or keyboards or anything close to what would be classed as an actuall working computer with acceptions. I know for a fact my core2 duo 2gb is now basically scrap compaired to the newer and faster i3 and i7 i series cores that have at least 4 or more cores in them.
The other issue ofcause is when you are sighted you buy for what you need.
When you are blind and don't have the cash you tend to buy the minimal system that can safely run things without crashing.
ie screenreaders, the web, email and your word processer.
If it can run games then cool but thats the way you do it.
Scarey thing is if I was not at home I wouldn't be able to buy any real tech not at least what I have now. I'd probably still be on a broken vary slow single core if at all and sertainly not broadband.
So yeah soundcards and other things are not on my list to get.
The basics of system, 50 buck speakers and the appropriate hard drives secondary drives flash drives and the like are enough and they are just the basics you need in todays world.
I could go on but I won't.