HI Dark,

Oh, I see. As it happens MOTA does have a look up/down feature, but it
was disabled prior to beta 18. The problem I have with your idea is
that as you climb up/down ropes you actually need to here where the
dripping ledges are in relation to you as you climb. IN a case like
that looking up/down to find out where the ledges are would not be too
cool. The best compromise in a case like that is to increase the pitch
of the water dripping the higher it is from you and decrease the pitch
the further below you it is. this would work for the lava pit idea as
well because if it is a high pitch drip you would realise that the
ledge is above and to the left without having to use any look commands
in the first place.

Another case where the look up/down wouldn't work as you describe it
has to do with enemies. For example, the harpies are a flying enemy.
Regardless if they are flying above, below, or at the same level as
you you should be able to hear there location at all times. Having
them only make noise when you happen to be looking the right way would
not be too cool. Claw, swish, scratch. "Ouch! What was that? Oh, just
a harpy flying above me I didn't hear."

Cheers!