yes we are.
Though to be fair, in the old dos days I got imersed in a story, let it run and it did. Now I need to go to my review curser to hear text and then out of it to put in dcommands. Though I still paly text games ocationally it never feels like I can fully get involved like I used to.
At 04:05 a.m. 22/03/2011, you wrote:
How would the addition of sound improve a text game's story line? Whether you hear a battle or read a description of it, it still happens, and aren't we talking about a text? Game?


Shepherds are the best beasts!

On Mar 21, 2011, at 5:16 AM, "Ken the Crazy" <kenwdow...@neo.rr.com> wrote:

> Hey Tom,
> First, you say that acting would cost too much money--but I find that there are a lot of ham actors on list. I have heard many people claim to be willing to do voice-overs. Many of these same people are the ones that want a community project, so why not let them shine? The same can be said for sound design. I don't see having to pay much money for anything personally. > A text game with audio sounds different. I would be interested in that, because it would have a better story line and everything--and you could, as you said, do audio mainly for the ambience, with maybe some cut scenes thrown in.
> Ken Downey
> President
> DreamTechInteractive!
> And,
> Blind Comfort!
> The pleasant way to experience massage!
> It's the Caring
> without the Staring!
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Thomas Ward" <thomasward1...@gmail.com>
> To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
> Sent: Sunday, March 20, 2011 7:40 PM
> Subject: Re: [Audyssey] Thoughts on Community Projects
>
>
>> Hi Shaun,
>>
>> Just because a game is text-based doesn't mean it necessarily won't
>> have any audio at all. I didn't mean to give you that impression. What
>> I was trying to point out is that I'm not planning on creating an RPG
>> game as advanced as Entombed with sounds and music for every single
>> thing just because that would cost an out ragious amount of money for
>> a game I'm planning to produce as open source,. So sounds and things
>> like that are negotiable depending on cost of course.
>>
>> However, I don't see having a few ambient sounds like the sound of a
>> space station while you are in the watch tower or a background
>> cityscape as you are patroling one of the cities a big deal. I have
>> loads of common effects like that. Plus some effects like punches,
>> kicks, guns, lasers, whatever are more or less easy to come by too if
>> I wanted to have some background effects included. However, as far as
>> things like voice acting I think it would cost too much to come up
>> with anything like that for a free open source game. What I want to
>> do, if I do it at all, is produce something on a shoe-string budget we
>> can build together and have fun with it.
>>
>> Although, I'm not sure exactly why you don't like text games any more.
>> Personally, although I like audio games I find text-based games have a
>> lot better plots, story lines, and everything can be described in
>> detail. Audio tends to really lack this story element and there are
>> certain things visually that can not be, nore will ever be, conveyed
>> through audio alone.
>>
>> Cheers!
>>
>> On 3/20/11, shaun everiss <sm.ever...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> hmmm I am not much for text rpgs anymore.
>>> Audio is the way to go even if its just generic audio.
>>> As long as you could play the nes and spc files, etc you could
>>> probably find soundtracks I have 7gb of capcom and megaman track
>>> remixes and probably several nes and snes track files floating round.
>>
>> ---
>> Gamers mailing list __ Gamers@audyssey.org
>> If you want to leave the list, send E-mail to gamers-unsubscr...@audyssey.org.
>> You can make changes or update your subscription via the web, at
>> http://audyssey.org/mailman/listinfo/gamers_audyssey.org.
>> All messages are archived and can be searched and read at
>> http://www.mail-archive.com/gamers@audyssey.org.
>> If you have any questions or concerns regarding the management of the list,
>> please send E-mail to gamers-ow...@audyssey.org.
>
>
> ---
> Gamers mailing list __ Gamers@audyssey.org
> If you want to leave the list, send E-mail to gamers-unsubscr...@audyssey.org.
> You can make changes or update your subscription via the web, at
> http://audyssey.org/mailman/listinfo/gamers_audyssey.org.
> All messages are archived and can be searched and read at
> http://www.mail-archive.com/gamers@audyssey.org.
> If you have any questions or concerns regarding the management of the list,
> please send E-mail to gamers-ow...@audyssey.org.

---
Gamers mailing list __ Gamers@audyssey.org
If you want to leave the list, send E-mail to gamers-unsubscr...@audyssey.org.
You can make changes or update your subscription via the web, at
http://audyssey.org/mailman/listinfo/gamers_audyssey.org.
All messages are archived and can be searched and read at
http://www.mail-archive.com/gamers@audyssey.org.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding the management of the list,
please send E-mail to gamers-ow...@audyssey.org.



---
Gamers mailing list __ Gamers@audyssey.org
If you want to leave the list, send E-mail to gamers-unsubscr...@audyssey.org.
You can make changes or update your subscription via the web, at
http://audyssey.org/mailman/listinfo/gamers_audyssey.org.
All messages are archived and can be searched and read at
http://www.mail-archive.com/gamers@audyssey.org.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding the management of the list,
please send E-mail to gamers-ow...@audyssey.org.

Reply via email to