Hi Dark,

That's very true, and that's why languages like Java, C# .Net, Visual
Basic .Net, Python, etc exists. Most developers realise that writing
an application from scratch in a language like C++ is far too time
consuming for the average developer and project. In the corperate
world if a company needs an interface for a new database or a report
writer etc they aren't going to want to take any more time than
absolutely necessary or pay any more money than necessary to have that
program developed. Since languages like Java, C#. or VB already have a
good portion of the low-level stuff done a developer can rapidly
produce the application in question with a lot less time and effort
making his/her corperate bosses happy in the process.

For example, let's take the .Net Framework. Microsoft created the .Net
Framework for three reasons. One, it wraps all of the core Windows
APIs, and puts them under a single API that is now shared by C++, C#,
J#, and VB. Two, it makes it easier to design a program that will
operate on XP, Vista, Windows 7, and Windows Server, without requiring
any kind of recompilation when targeting multiple Windows platforms
and CPUs at once. Three, it is fully object oriented, and moduler,
making it extremely easy to take existing classes and code to build
applications rapidly using a common code base. Finally, the .Net
runtime contains a builtin garbage collecter that frequently monitors
when blocks of memory are no longer being used/referenced and cleans
the garbage out of memory making your application run more
efficiently. The best part of the garbage collecter is the developer
can't be a complete slob when it comes to memory management and
cleaning upbecause it takes the issue of memory management out of the
developers hands and does it automatically in the background weather
you do memory cleanup yourself or not. This largely eliminates issues
like memory leaks because its mistakes like that where the garbage
collecter will hand the programmer a safety net to fall back on if
he/she does a poor job cleaning up after shutting down the app.

So, in short, what you say is correct. Over all, it is a good idea to
use a rapid development language if we are talking about a time
sensative application, or the developer is lazy and just wants to get
it done.  However, I'm neither one of those types. I'm something of a
programming purest, and I chose C++ because I have the skills, and in
the long run it is a better language for what I need to do. I'm
willing to spend more time doing it right rather than quickly put it
together and sell it. I'm willing to put the extra effort into making
sure most of my code can be cross-platform compatible so I can produce
Mac and Linux ports in the future. I know that isn't too important to
a lot of people on this list, but it is important to me personally. If
people don't like it that's tough.

Cheers!


On 7/17/11, dark <d...@xgam.org> wrote:
> Hi Tom.
> Fair enough if you've got precompiled code to use, and also i do see the
> logic with text.
>
> however it stil seems that in c you need a lot of preparation and things
> written that are done for you in other languages, which adds to the time of
> developement overall.
>
> Beware the Grue!
>
> Dark.

---
Gamers mailing list __ Gamers@audyssey.org
If you want to leave the list, send E-mail to gamers-unsubscr...@audyssey.org.
You can make changes or update your subscription via the web, at
http://audyssey.org/mailman/listinfo/gamers_audyssey.org.
All messages are archived and can be searched and read at
http://www.mail-archive.com/gamers@audyssey.org.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding the management of the list,
please send E-mail to gamers-ow...@audyssey.org.

Reply via email to