If the Goblins have spread and are using a new area to enter the map, then yes,
they will continue to use it.  Building anything right on the edge of the map
doesn't seem like a very good idea to me.  That would eliminate any chance of
you seeing the attacking coming.  Actually, I feel it would be illogical and
unrealistic if the building wasn't destroyed immediately.  Setting a building
on fire isn't all that difficult, since the walls and floor of an empty tavern
are unlikely to fight back against a mob of attackers who have set it on fire.
The townspeople don't stick around to put out any fire because they would be
killed by the Goblins.