Kelvin, you bring up a good question about the troop types.  When you are
attacking the enemy using the war tent, then there is absolutely no question
that 5 of each type is better than 10 of each of only 2 types.  Mission 3
really helps illustrate the importance of sending in different types of troops.
 I'm sure most of us are far less worried when 1 group of 5 knights shows up,
than when 5 different groups with 1 of each soldier type shows up.  Even though
they are weaker individually, they can spread out and cause havoc in 5 times as
many places!  In that same way, when you spread our your army in raid groups,
you deal far more damage to your enemy.

When defending, you have a pretty good strategy already I would say.  Since
there are 4 skilled troop types, rather than 3 in a rock-paper-scissors plan,
choosing any 2 which are opposite each other will make a good defending army.
Of course, if you did happen to have all 4 types it would more completely cover
all of the fighting advantages.

I wanted the troops to mirror how the food works.  Creating a huge stockpile of
Knights is a lot like feeding your people all meat.  It is simpler to set up
and you tend to be quite efficient while producing more and more of the exact
same thing.  With the meat, your people are far less efficient than if they
were being fed multiple food types, and with only 1 troop type you are missing
out on the combat advantages each different type has.  Each new good type you
add, represents more planning and work, and tends to be the mark of a more
skilled player.  More often than not, the most skilled Castaways players seem
to quite easily balance 2 or 3 food types when they used to struggle with just
1 as beginners.  Troop production should mirror that.

Struggling to maintain a knight-only army will likely transform in to players
who almost effortlessly maintain armies of 3 troop types, and perhaps even 4.
It is a little bold of me to make this prediction, but it appears to have gone
this way with food production and the underlying risk/reward system is nearly
identical for soldiers.