On 30 Jan 2000, Peter Bortas wrote:

> Andreas Beck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>

> > > This is exactly what I don't want. A major reason why I want to use GGI
> > > for this win. manager is that X is a resource killer.
> >
> > Then this is the only way. All X applications talk to libX11, which in turn
> > talks to the x server. The only place where you can intercept the
> > communications before it gets transformed into X protocol requests
> > (interpreting them would mean reinventing an X server), would be to
> > replace LibX11. Doable, but very much work.
>
> Afraid not. Quite a few programs talk the raw X-protocol. All programs
> I wrote before GTK+ emerged did that. This is due to the fact that
> libX11 is actually not easier to use that the protocol directly and
> the fact that it (the lib) wasn't thread-safe at the time.

Yah know, that explains why my very-multithreaded QT/[broken]mpeg2 player
crashes with various faults under X.  using GGI for display.

Suggestions? :)

G'day, eh? :)
        - Teunis

PS: anyone who suggests SYSV stuff should tell me how I should wait for
conditions with SYSV items.  The shared-mem is not a problem, but the
conditions are.  Mind you I might just be clueless as it's been years
since I last did SYSV stuff.