> No - what I am talking about, is how the windowmanager places its
> decorations _outside_ the application window.

Ah, I see, misunderstanding.

> XGGI _is_ an X server. Nothing special about it.

I'm a bit confused. Rushing through the GGI and XGGI homepage I got the
impression that XGGI is a layer between an application requiring Xlib
functions and libggi. That would be your mentioned Xlib-wrapper,
directing all Xlib function to ggi/gii functions.
Please give me an explanation what XGGI exactly is and whether it needs a
running X Server or not.

> If you want to bypass the X server, I see only a single possible method:
> You have to make kind of an LibX11-wrapper.

Hm, guess I'm not masochistic enough to do so.

> However you should be aware that this is a huge task. Even when stripping
> all the extension and undocumented stuff off, I count 523 functions exported
> by libX11.so here. Total is over 1200 ...

as I mentioned, I don't want to do this.

gr. matthias