On 30 Jan 2000, Peter Bortas wrote:

> teunis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > On 30 Jan 2000, Peter Bortas wrote:
>
> > > Afraid not. Quite a few programs talk the raw X-protocol. All programs
> > > I wrote before GTK+ emerged did that. This is due to the fact that
> > > libX11 is actually not easier to use that the protocol directly and
> > > the fact that it (the lib) wasn't thread-safe at the time.
> >
> > Yah know, that explains why my very-multithreaded QT/[broken]mpeg2 player
> > crashes with various faults under X.  using GGI for display.
> >
> > Suggestions? :)
>
> I'm a bit surprised if your X-libs aren't thread safe by now. I haven't
> heard of someone stupid enough to compile unsafe libs since RedHat
> 5.1. I do most of my programming through other peoples toolkits
> nowadays though, so I don't know for sure.
>
> What distro are you running?

Actually - my own computer is fine.
A friend of mine runs RedHat 6.0 IIRC....

But my X hasn't been spec Mandrake-6.0 for a while (the version I
originally installed).  I have a 3dfx/Banshee and have decided to go to
XFree86 4.0/DRI/accelerated *grin*.  Now if only I could get the mouse
working....

G'day, eh? :)
        - Teunis