On Wednesday 06 December 2006 20:31, Jakub Steiner wrote:

> Hi Karine,
>
> I think the release notes are a great way to educate the potential user
> what GIMP can do. The blender folks do an extremely good job with their
> release notes, graphically describing new features [1].
>
> I've started to sporadically write something along those lines [2], so
> if you'd like to join forces we could move this away from my personal
> dokuwiki space that's hosted on a very unreliable server to somewhere
> more appropriate.

That sounds great! The development news are hosted on my gimp webpage and I am
currently the only one able to produce them, which is not very bright (there
have been some holiday weeks with no news because of that). I also host some
new features descriptions with screenshots on my blog, but they are not many
and not very visible.

We would still have to decide the format of the public news / release notes
(the blender graphical release notes are indeed a very good example), where
to publish them, and how to allow several people to contribute to them (you
and me, or more people). The Gimp website has a news feature that could
fulfill those needs if I remember correctly, but I don't know whether that
would be the best place to publish something like that.

Anyway, I'm all for contributing to eye-candy release notes. I'm still
undecided about whether these should replace the actual development news or
not, I guess it depends on whether there would still be an interest for
detailed development news (Sven Neumann proposed to add more descriptions to
the rather bland reports I make) once the graphical release notes are there.

Karine