+Contributor Experience

On Sun, May 28, 2017 at 9:13 AM, <lu...@luxaslabs.com> wrote:

> So what I was basically trying to say Daniel and Tim is that I believe
> this matter is much more complex than a binary good/bad switch.
>
> > Something I wanted to do but fell off my plate is to set up a kube
> "janitors" effort.  This has been pretty effective in the Linux
> kernel, finding ways for people who didn't know the whole kernel to
> contribute, clean up, and earn an identity ("I'm on the kernel
> janitors team!"), and take a ton of tasks off the backlog.  It needs a
> rally point, a website, a logo, and some serious effort cataloging
> initial work items.
>
> I really like this idea as well. But I think it's a compliment to what's
> proposed above, not a replacement.
> This also goes for K8sPort (compliment to these community efforts). It's
> pretty good but hasn't gained traction at all really.

Are there thing we could do to improve k8sport adoption? Would k8sport and
21 compete for people to accomplish the same tasks?

> [...]
>> those bucks, he probably needs them in that case.
>>

>> Further ideas:
>>
>> I've been experimenting with the tought of providing a CNCF sponsor HTTP
>> service in the 21 marketplace (https://21.co/mkt/). It would basically
>> be a way to donate the bitcoins you've earned from completing microtasks on
>> 21 to different areas of CNCF. Each API call costs a little money, and the
>> CNCF-backed service would just charge a dollar or two, add your name to a
>> CNCF individual sponsors list and let you choose what to donate money for.
>>
>> Imagine anyone being able to issue a command like this (or do it via the
>> 21 web interface)
>>
>> 21 buy "cncf/sponsor/diversity_scholarship"
>>

>> and the API service will put your name on a list next to the total amount
>> you've paid (adds up on every API call). Now you've donated to CNCF
>> diversity scholarship recipients!
>> And as the 21 ecosystem grows, it might be possible to choose CNCF
>> instead of the four above mentioned charities automatically...
>>
>> Let me know what you think... I have even more thoughts to share later ;)
>>
>> Den söndag 28 maj 2017 kl. 06:32:04 UTC+3 skrev Joseph Jacks:
>>>
>>> Thanks for your feedback, Daniel.
>>>
>>> My take on this 1999 study you point to is that it has some major flaws
>>> when taken into current context:
>>>
>>>    - The world was extremely different when this study was conducted.
>>>    The sharing economy did not exist. There were only ~195M people on the
>>>    Internet globally. Etcetera.
>>>    - RE: "*If the size of the monetary reward is not large enough to
>>>    compensate for the loss of intrinsic motivation, overall engagement can
>>>    decline*": We can easily solve this simply by increasing the reward
>>>    amount. With the first basic implementation of extrinsic incentivizing --
>>>    i.e K8s experts and/or charities get paid in BTC/fiat only when they
>>>    respond to K8s user questions via the 21 system -- we have a reward
>>>    <https://21.co/kubernetes/> of $5 set for each reply. That can
>>>    easily be adjusted up to $20 and far beyond. Balaji Srinivasan shared
>>> with
>>>    me earlier that 21.co/ethereum routinely sees users paying $10 for
>>>    answers from Ethereum experts.
>>>    - (Some help with framing thanks to Balaji here)... Regarding the
>>>    net result as is implied in the 1999 study and in other areas as Tim
>>>    alluded, I think in most areas generally the introduction of market
>>>    dynamics really improves the overall experience. There are certainly edge
>>>    cases like the ones that Dan Ariely
>>>    <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Ariely> identifies, but these
>>>    need to be kept in perspective against the gigantic examples of (say)
>>>    communist vs capitalist China, or communist vs capitalist Eastern Europe.
>>>    Most of the time, you are replacing a breadline with a market.
>>>

>>> HTH!

>>> --
> msgid/kubernetes-dev/1d7caf1f-ce40-475b-9c6a-166d375b1fec%

    • Re: [kub... 'Daniel Smith' via Kubernetes user discussion and Q&A
      • Re: ... Joseph Jacks
      • Re: ... lucas
      • Re: ... lucas
      • Re: ... 'David Aronchick' via Kubernetes user discussion and Q&A
      • Re: ... 'Tim Hockin' via Kubernetes user discussion and Q&A
      • Re: ... Alexis Richardson
      • Re: ... 'Tim Hockin' via Kubernetes user discussion and Q&A
      • Re: ... Alexis Richardson
      • Re: ... 'Tim Hockin' via Kubernetes user discussion and Q&A
      • Re: ... 'Brian Grant' via Kubernetes user discussion and Q&A
      • Re: ... Justin Santa Barbara
      • Re: ... quacken1983
      • Re: ... Ryan Quackenbush
  • Re: [kubernet... 'Brian Grant' via Kubernetes user discussion and Q&A