GM ruined the American Diesel market in late 70's with their "Diesel" engine cobbled from blocks barely good enough to combust gasoline reliably - tried to do it "on-the-cheap." GM had been building some of the world's best Diesel engines for power generation, locomotives and long-distance trucks since mid-thirties, but they, suddenly, could not build one suitable for a passenger car.

Wilton

----- Original Message ----- From: "fmiser via Mercedes" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
To: <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Cc: "fmiser" <fmi...@gmail.com>
Sent: Thursday, September 10, 2015 3:08 PM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] The demise pf Pruis h*ters

> OK Don wrote:
>
> I like the idea of having a back-up fossil fuel engine in
> a hybrid, I just wish they'd use a sensible Diesel
> engine . . . . .

Andrew wrote:

Good point.  Probably too heavy to make economic sense...

A diesel isn't necessarily heavy.  Cessna now sells the 182 with ONLY
a diesel cycle engine, and that is a market that is very
weight sensitive.

And the batteries are a much bigger weight penalty than the
engine.

I think it's probably marketing.  In the US, marketing tells
us diesels are for big trucks, wannabe big trucks, and hard
working light trucks only.

Silly marketing.