On Fri, 11 Sep 2015 09:56:52 -0700 G Mann via Mercedes
<mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:

 So sorry to bring rain to the parade..

 Reality is like that.   The internal combustion engine is noisy, stinks,
 pollutes, and it's inefficient. However, to date, there is no practical
 replacement for use in motorcars.

I'm not looking to use it in a motorcar ...

Craig

Craig,

You might find these interesting. Jim Ettaro did many experiments with small gas turbines using hydrogen as a fuel. I saw his turbocharger air pump run and I also saw the one in the second article run, and he had a third version he built that I saw run. Each was quite interesting, and the startup procedure did not appear that complex. It would have been fairly simple to automate start up and shutdown with Jim's designs, however making one of the designs "failsafe" may not be simple.

Video of his small hydrogen turbine used to be on the calstate LA website, but I have not been able to find them for many years now. I wish I had downloaded and saved them. However Virgil Seaman at Cal State LA may be able to provide the video.

http://www.cleantransportationfunding.org/media_center/newsletter_articles/view/cal_state_l.a.s_new_sustainable_hydrogen_research_facility_looks_to_the_fut

http://lib.dr.iastate.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=12791&context=rtd&sei-redir=1&referer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2Fsearch%3Fclient%3Dsafari%26rls%3Den%26q%3Djim%2Bettaro%2Bhydrogen%2Bturbine%26ie%3DUTF-8%26oe%3DUTF-8#search=%22jim%20ettaro%20hydrogen%20turbine%22

https://www.mail-archive.com/mercedes@okiebenz.com/msg119615.html Shhesh! Okiebanz has lasted longer than Mercedes veterans or the Dickarde list.

http://www.calstatela.edu/univ/ppa/newsrel/supereagle2004f.htm

I would theorize that the small size of Jim's turbines and the hydrogen fuels avoided some of the problems Grant and Dan encountered with larger versions. What is called a Microturbine generator (like a capstone) is in the 30 kW range, so is substantially larger than what Jim was dealing with.

I don't remember what engine he got the turbocharger from, but it was similar in size to the one on the 1.6L VW turbodiesel. The final turbine engine I saw (that Jim made) was about 5" dia also.