On Wednesday 22 February 2012, at 14.44.56, Adam Puckett
<adotsdothmu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It's nice to see some familiar names in Csound's defense.
>
> Here's something I've considered since learning C: has anyone
> (attempted to) compose music in straight C (or C++) just using the
> audio APIs? I think that would be quite a challenge. I can see quite a
> bit more algorithmic potential there than probably any of the DSLs
> written in it.

There was this Comprez2000 thing twelve years ago (obviously!), where one was
supposed to write a C program of less than 5000 lines, generating a sound
file. Started on something back then, but the whole thing was abandoned, so I
never finished it...

More recently, I set out to hack a tiny, fast, usable sound engine for games,
and ended up with ChipSound; a realtime script driven synth in less than 2000
lines of C, "compiler" (or rather assembler) included. The basic concept is to
allow subsample accurate scripting instead of relying on lots of hardwired
traditional "synth" features.

It's now some 5000 lines, with a nicer language and stuff, but it's still the
same basic design. VM programs essentially run as processes in a tiny RTOS,
with instructions for spawning new programs, sending messages etc. No
distinction between instruments and music, other than programming conventions.

I'm using it in my WIP game Kobo II; all sounds still built from sine, saw,
triangle, square waves and noise, no filters or anything. Going to do some
(possibly recursive) render-sound-into-waveform stuff, add filters and other
units etc later on, but this will do for now. :-)

        http://olofsonarcade.com/2011/11/06/kobo-ii-another-song-wip/
        http://olofsonarcade.com/2011/02/10/kobo-ii-title-song-wip/

--
//David Olofson - Consultant, Developer, Artist, Open Source Advocate

.--- Games, examples, libraries, scripting, sound, music, graphics ---.
|   http://consulting.olofson.net          http://olofsonarcade.com   |