Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 09:43:50 -0600
From: "Ronald C. Dailey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: rotate dialing

On 2001-05-30 [EMAIL PROTECTED] said:
   >Date: 30 May 2001
   >> Sending mail is another matter, unfortunately.
   >part of the "raw" mail header; which in fact, is not relevant for
   >the
   >e-ddress in the socalled "envelope", which is to be created by the
   >mail transport agent. This information is given to the SMTP server
   >from the MTA when "connecting". If the SMTP server Ok's the
   >connection, then the mailer sends the whole "raw" (RFC-format) mail,
   >header, body and all.
   >Thus in theory it could perhaps be possible even with N'T to use
   >just one SMTP server to send a whole bag of mail with senders
   >_labelled_

You're right, of course.  The only thing that matters is whether the 
SMTP server accepts the connection, but it would appear that how the 
SMTP server determines whether to accept the connection can vary from 
one service to another.  In any case, what I was thinking of was the 
mailing list accepting the message rather than the server.  Also, some 
receiving POP3 servers (WebTV comes to mind) check to see whether the 
sender's "domain" belongs to the same provider as the SMTP server and 
won't accept the mail if it doesn't.  

Yahoo mail allows a user to connect from anywhere but still 
authenticates each user.  Yahoo makes it work by requiring the user to 
first connect to the POP3 server and enter user and password.  I'm 
pretty sure that the user's IP is then identified because the Yahoo SMTP 
server doesn't ask for a user or password during the _same_ online 
session (during which the user's IP wouldn't change, of course).  When I 
say _same_ online session, I mean that one can log off the POP3 server 
and then send mail via SMTP, log off that server, remain on line and 
then later on log onto the SMTP server _again_ without being denied 
access.  However, if one attempts to log onto the SMTP server without 
_first_ being authenticated by the POP3 server, it's a no-go.  

Other ISPs seem to be set up so that only certain users are accepted for 
sending mail and don't allow connection from a point other than one of 
their dialups.  I shouldn't say that I'm sure that they have a list of 
allowed IP's at the SMTP server, but for any dialup there is a limited 
range of IP's available that could be dynamically assigned and that 
would be one way to make sure that a sender was a paid user.

   >header. Though the first one must be the right one if you reply to a
   >list where postings are checked for coming from a subscribed author
   >against the sender's address.)
   >I couldn't get around that problem with N'T and finally had to
   >switch to another MTA (in fact, Marc Ressl's Netmail). I did a
   >little "pre- processor" for that one and it happily sends all
   >outgoing mail in just one go over just one SMTP.

Hmmm, I should look into Netmail.  Also, if the Net-Tamer mailing list 
only looks at the sender's address as shown in the message, then the 
only problem would be to change the address.  I think one could get 
around it in Net-Tamer by changing the return address in the setup, but 
I don't know whether it would work for sure.  I recall attempting that 
one time and having a problem, but can't remember what it was <g>.  I 
think I'll try that with Yahoo e-mail to see whether I can send to the 
Net-Tamer mailing list.  

Later:  Well, the Yahoo SMTP server wouldn't accept mail from the domain 
"access1.net" and shut my message out, even though I had properly logged 
in via the POP3 server.  It would appear that Yahoo has set up their 
mail and smtp servers so that they can prevent unauthorized or anonymous 
use of their services.  On the other hand, I just changed the setting in 
my setup for CWnet and was able to send out mail via _their_ SMTP server 
even though it had an "access1.net" domain in the return address.  _If_ 
the message gets posted to the list, then I will have proven that it is 
possible to alter Net-Tamer (without using any external program) to 
allow using a different ISP (different from the one I used to subscribe 
to the list) to send mail to the Net-Tamer mailing list.  

Later still:  I've verified that it is possible to alter the defaults 
for a setup to change the e-mail address used and be able to send to the 
Net-Tamer mailing list from a different ISP.  The only catch is that the 
SMTP server has to allow it.  Yahoo's won't, but my other ISP, cwnet.com 
will allow it.  It may be a violation of the TOS, however, using an 
altered e-mail address.  I should check on that because I could lose the 
account if it is.  That wouldn't be good since the only way the message 
could go through right now is via cwnet since the ISP that provides my 
"access1.net" domain was not accepting my logon (yet another failure).

Ronald Dailey


-- 
RCD

Net-Tamer V 1.13 Beta - Registered



********************************************************
To unsubscribe from this list,
send a message to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the single word
                     Unsubscribe
as the subject.
You MUST use the same address with which you subscribed!
********************************************************

Reply via email to