Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 08:47:46 -0700
From: "Ronald C. Dailey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: rotate dialing

On 2001-05-29 [EMAIL PROTECTED] said:

   >>Net-Tamer  rotate between ISP's in case you have two or more and
   >>one isn't working  properly.  I guess by using a batch file to
   >have Net-Tamer do an
   >In fact there are two slices of problems involved:
   >1. different dial-in, to

Yes, meaning multiple dialup numbers for one ISP.

   >2. different ISP hosts (where your different mailboxes are seated).

Yes, and that would usually mean another set of dialup numbers.
 
   >Now, Nettamer needs a new dial-in for each ONE account (regardless
   >even if those are POP3 boxes or SMTPs of a same ISP host). In non-US
   >conditions, each dial-in costs extra money. The Net being just that,
   >this shouldn't be necessary - on NET ACCESS dial-in would (normally)
   >be sufficient.

Well, as you explain later on, one access number is sufficient for 
_getting_ the mail and newsgroups, even if you have multiple providers 
(hosts).  Sending mail is another matter, unfortunately.  I didn't find 
setting up the separate defaults for the different hosts that I have 
very difficult.  I really have only three: access1.net  (now run by 
fgn.net), cwnet.com, and yahoo mail (which can be used via either of my 
regular providers), so that I use only two different sets of dialup 
numbers, in fact, though there are _four_ user setups.  It seems 
cumbersome and there should probably be an easier way to do it, but 
Net-Tamer isn't bad once it's set up.

   >[This is the reason why I migrated from Nettamer; for use of just
   >one single mail e-ddress I think N'T is still the most easy to
   >install and to use util.]
   >[In addition, one N'T only wouldn't allow you to use the same
   >message and save directories for different accounts. Another
   >obstacle when you want to keep things together which run over
   >different accounts.]

You _can_ define the same message and save directory for each account, 
so that you  have one user directory for all mail.  I guess that might 
cause a problem with the last message count but since I get all mail and 
delete all mail, I don't have a problem in my case.  I did that for two 
different e-mail accounts (with different domains) from the _same_ 
provider .  The messages are still sent out using the correct from: 
address but all mail is in one place and all newsgroups are saved to one 
place.  What made this easier is that the news server was the same for 
each setup and that meant that I didn't have a different set of 
newsgroups to check or save.  

I'm not sure I'd want to do this with the Yahoo email and the cwnet.com 
email, however, because then I could get confused about replying to the 
mail and which sender address I should be using.  In the case of this 
mailing list, I have to use a specific address, and there could be a 
mailing list that would require a different sender (I don't have one 
that does, but . . .).  That's a reason that I need to have different 
message and save directories, I guess.  

On the newsgroup questin, with my two _different_ providers, I can't 
have a different set of newsgroups without having different directories 
for each provider.  Since there can be only one set of newsgroups in a 
user directory, I'd have to have a much longer list of newsgroups and I 
know that at least one newsgroup is carried by one provider and _not_ 
carried by another provider.  That's another reason for having different 
user directories to permit different usenet setups.  

If Net-Tamer could have all this mail and newsgroup information defined 
in each setup and keep each setup in a separately named file then it 
might be possible to have one message and save directory that contained 
_all_ the messages and usenet posts for all the separate user setups.  
However, it works okay way it is done, so I guess I should shut up and 
just use it. 

   >Then secondly, there can be dial-in problems with one or the other 
   >access point/ tel-no. - it was happening more often than not that I 
   >needed an alternative when the one had skrewed it up again (which 
   >was regularly the case with the here dominant, ex-public 
   >ex-monopolist telco); or with a "roaming" service, where you need 
   >change the dial-in setup when you use another access point 
   >elsewhere.  It's not toooo difficult to do that manually with N'T 
   >(if you are _well_ acquainted with it, <g>), and it's "doable" with 
   >a batch arrangement (swap _all_ config files) but it's a bit 
   >cumbersome in any case; if there's enough disk space, simply two 
   >separate installs of N'T are easier. Though that's not a most 
   >elegant solution either. 
   >All this would have been much better if N'T was constructed in a 
   >modular way, with a clear separation between the dialler and PPP 
   >socket and the net client functionalities. 

In the case of an ISP failing to recognize the user when he calls in, I 
think I'm probably asking too much of Net-Tamer or any other software to 
provide an automated way to get around that.  Think of all the Win9x 
users who have IE and can't get to their provider because of some 
failure in the authentication process when they connect.  There's no 
easy fix for them, either.  I did what you did when my one provider got 
to the point of not being reliable.  I got another one so that I had 
two.  The command line options shown in the Net-Tamer doc would be 
possible in a batch file so that all the different default setups for 
different "users" could be run from a single batch file.  

I have a batch file that I had set up previously for a single user 
(using NETTAMER /A1 as the command line).  I just changed it to have 
successive command lines in the batch (NETTAMER /A2 . . through /A4) and 
it works fine.  The only problem I see with it is if you were using a 
phone where you were charged extra for each connection you made, but 
that's not a consideration if you have a flat-rate phone line.  

Ronald Dailey


-- 
RCD

Net-Tamer V 1.13 Beta - Registered



********************************************************
To unsubscribe from this list,
send a message to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the single word
                     Unsubscribe
as the subject.
You MUST use the same address with which you subscribed!
********************************************************

Reply via email to