Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2002 03:41:22 -0500
From: "Samuel W. Heywood" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: error 5

On Fri, 22 Feb 2002 16:19:44 -0700 "Ronald C. Dailey"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I hate the fact that so many people are using html e-mail.  An excuse
> that has been used for doing this is that it allows for more font
> choices and more visible expression in the mail, but that's a little
> like saying that an advertisement will be more effective if there are
> lots of different type styles in the copy.

> Sure, with html you can shout in a really bold font and you can use a
> larger _size_, too.  However, shouting doesn't improve the quality of
> argument, as has been demonstrated time and again by such shows as "The
> Capital Gang" and "Talk Back Live," to name a couple.

<snip>

Almost all of the HTML emails that I get are basically duplicates of
the text version.  Font sizes are usually quite small and the font
colors are usually black and the background is white.  I see
absolutely no point in sending dupe HTMLs of this type and I consider
it quite an annoyance and a waste of bandwidth.  When I complain to
correspondents about their sending me dupe HTMLs most of them don't
even understand what I am talking about.  I consider this custom of
sending dupe HTML emails very, very strange.  I don't know why people
do it.  Surely they all should very well know that not all their
correspondents have email programs capable of rendering HTML
automagically, and surely they ought to know that setting up an email
client that would open attachments automagically isn't a very smart
thing to do.  People who have email programs designed to automatically
send HTML dupes could easily change these most peculiar defaults, but
for some very inexplicable reason many of them won't.

Sam Heywood



********************************************************
To unsubscribe from this list,
send a message to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the single word
                     Unsubscribe
as the subject.
You MUST use the same address with which you subscribed!
********************************************************

Reply via email to