Christian Buchner wrote:
2) Would anyone know a nicely done (in terms of documentation,
clarity) parallax mapping or relief mapping implementation in GLSL and
OSG? I've found a lot of conference papers on this (Siggraph etc) but
almost no source code.

I think the NVIDIA SDK has an example of parallax mapping in their bump mapping demo (it's an option in the demo to switch between bump and parallax). It's not true relief mapping (when you view the bumpy surface from the edge, it disappears), but I wouldn't think a coin would have enough relief for this to matter much (unless you get very close to it).

Of course, this won't help you if you end up going with the fragment shader drawing technique you mentioned.

--"J"