> -> things get slow with more than 70 coins on this (slightly outdated)
> machine. The bottleneck is definitely physics, not rendering. May have to
experiment
> with CUDA acceleration to achieve 500 coins and more.

I suspect your bottleneck if with solving. Currently, the Cuda solver is not
yet open source. The (already available) Cuda dispatcher probably won't help
your performance.

> -> The coins slide apart when stacked on top, as if the whole setup
> was on a vibrating ground plate. I need to get in touch with the guys on
the
> bullet physics forums to see if this can be solved.

By default, Bullet should perform multiple samples (10, I think, per sim
step) in the solver to compensate for this. Is your app explicitly setting
this down to fewer samples for performance reasons?
   -Paul