Hi Christian,

To profile the peformance bottleneck it would be best to press 's' a
couple more times to get the full frame rate stats so you can see
exactly which parts of rendering are the bottleneck - the frame rate
only tells that you frame rate is reducing it doesn't give any clues
to why.

In terms of optimizing performance I'd be inclined towards trying out
using draw instanced support.  Not all cards support this, but it
would help with draw lots of identical geometry with the only
different being it's position in space.

Robert.