> Out of interest are you simulating a penny push machine?

Here is a first youtube video of my progress so far.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74C61A-wzaA

This is based on the osgBullet sample code found on the OpenSceneGraph
Wiki on Support/Tutorials.
A few things to note:

-> No shiny coins with imprint yet, just a simple cylindrical model
exported from Blender.

-> things get slow with more than 70 coins on this (slightly outdated)
machine. The bottleneck is definitely physics, not rendering. May have
to experiment with CUDA acceleration to achieve 500 coins and more.

-> The coins slide apart when stacked on top, as if the whole setup
was on a vibrating ground plate. I need to get in touch with the guys
on the bullet physics forums to see if this can be solved.

I will be back when I've got the shiny coins done... and hundreds of them!

Thanks for all your suggestions so far.

Christian