I have tested under Kubuntu 9.04 + ATI 4670 and the driver doesn't
support pbuffer but the fallback opens up a full screen window and it
works fine.

I have also tested under Kubuntu 10.10 + ATI 4670 and the driver does
support pbuffer and the app runs correctly.

In Ubuntu 9.10 with a Nvidia GTX 280 with driver version 190.53 it works fine.

Oliver, maybe you should try a low level pbuffer example to discard it as the problem. First, you can use an OpenGL extension checker and search for WGL_ARB_pbuffer, I think GPU-Z does the job.

Juan