Jon,

As far as "predicate" and "proposition" go, usage varies promiscuously.
Some people use them to mean syntactic elements, in the S & I domains.
Some people use them to mean objective elements, in the Object domain.
In a sign relational setting we need to admit both types of elements
and we need to be clear about their distinctive roles in the triadic
sign relation at hand.

It can help to use a tactic that is common in computer science, simply
tack the epithet "expression" or "name" on the end of the formal object
name you have in mind in order to denote the associated semiotic entity,
e.g., function / function expression, predicate / predicate expression,
proposition / propositional expression, and so on.  In many contexts one
can then use the terms equivocally in the usual way, adding the epithet
only when necessary to focus on the syntax.

Regards,

Jon