Mike, List:

This is a fascinating line of thought, and I appreciate you taking the time
to spell it out.  I anticipated that you might be going in this direction,
and I have been wondering for a while about the reality of fictional
objects like unicorns within a Peircean framework.

My own attempt at a concise definition of "real" is "capable of being
represented, but independent of any actual representation."  It is
basically a paraphrase of Peirce's definition in "A Neglected Argument" for
"Idea" (capitalized) as "that whose Being consists in its mere capacity for
getting fully represented, regardless of any person's faculty or impotence
to represent it" (CP 6.452), which I quoted previously.  He later added,
when identifying Ideas as the constituents of the first Universe of
Experience, "the fact that their Being consists in mere capability of
getting thought, not in anybody's Actually thinking them, saves their
Reality" (CP 6.455).

Obviously a unicorn is capable of being represented, so the question
becomes whether it is independent of any actual representation.  This is
where I am still on the fence.  If no human had ever conceived the idea of
a unicorn, would it still be real?  If not, then its Being *does* consist
in someone's actually thinking it; i.e., we are using "idea" in the
(lowercase) sense of "the substance of an actual unitary thought or fancy."
 A unicorn does not have one horn regardless of what any person or finite
group of people think about it; it has one horn only *because* people think
about it that way.

Regards,

Jon S.