Mike, list,

You wrote,

   I think this does place Horace before Descartes.

I can't beat that. If somebody says it's a bad pun, I say /the worse, the better/. Even Jon Awbrey ought to be impressed. You wouldn't believe the elaborate puns he used to do here, only problem was that one needed to be pretty familiar with physicists' names and old American animated cartoons and the like in order to get them. I think many didn't even realize what he was up to.

I think that you do get the ideas that I was trying to convey. There's just to be careful to avoid making it sound like the real depends on our particular opinions, though it does depend on representability in general, because that's part of what it is. I feel kind of weird, a semi-Peircean laying down the Peircean line. I feel like I ought to suggest or discern fruitful lines for further discussion rather than just "setting people straight". I've a notion that the general and the relations among experiences are "more" real in a Peircean sense than the individual, subjective perspective, but I don't know whether I'll end up saying anything definite about it. Joe Ransdell, who founded and long managed and moderated peirce-l, was good at going beyond "correcting". Ah well, I have to say something because I've gotten too delayed on this.

Best, Ben