Edwina, Jon S, list,

At the moment I would tend to agree more with Edwina's interpretation than
with Jon's. But I'm beginning to see the problem, feel the tension in this
matter. I'm not quite yet up to arguing *why* I agree, but I'll offer a few
quotes hints towards a direction I think might be fruitful (emphasis added
by me in all cases).

1910 | The Art of Reasoning Elucidated | MS [R] 678:23

…we apply this word “sign” to *everything recognizable whether to our
outward senses or to our inward feeling and imagination, provided only it
calls up some feeling, effort, or thought**…*

1902 [c.] | Reason's Rules | MS [R] 599:38

A sign is something which in some measure and in some respect makes its
interpretant the sign of that of which it is itself the sign. [—] [A] sign
which merely represents itself to itself is nothing else but that thing
itself. The two infinite series, the one back toward the object, the other
forward toward the interpretant, in this case collapse into an immediate
present. *The type of a sign is memory, which takes up the deliverance of
past memory and delivers a portion of it to future memory.*

1897 [c.] | On Signs [R] | CP 2.228

A sign, or *representamen*, is something which stands to somebody for
something in some respect or capacity. It addresses somebody, that is,
creates in the mind of that person an equivalent sign, or perhaps a more
developed sign. That sign which it creates I call the *interpretant* of the
first sign. The sign stands for something, its *object*. *It stands for
that object, not in all respects, but in reference to a sort of idea, which
I have sometimes called the ground of the representamen. “Idea” is here to
be understood in a sort of Platonic sense*, very familiar in everyday talk;
I mean in that sense in which we say that one man catches another man’s
idea, in which we say that when a man recalls what he was thinking of at
some previous time, he recalls the same idea, and in which when a man
continues to think anything, say for a tenth of a second, in so far as the
thought continues to agree with itself during that time, that is to have a
*like* content, it is the same idea, and is not at each instant of the
interval a new idea.

1873 | Logic. Chap. 5th | W 3:76; CP 7.355-6

…a thing which stands for another thing is a representation or sign. So
that it appears that e*very species of actual cognition is of the nature of
a sign.* [—]

Best,

Gary R

[image: Gary Richmond]