On January 23, 2012 at 9:58 AM Alexander Burger <a...@software-lab.de> wrote:

> accepted by potential customers (for project work). Spreading the news
> that PicoLisp can't be used because there are no libraries is quite
> devastating, but also without that, acceptance for project work didn't
> improve during the ten years since PicoLisp went public.

Maybe there is room to do as so many other do and hijack the popularity of
Java? It's like a checkbox. In the olden days it was "POSIX". Is it POSIX?
Yes? Check.  (Windows NT was POSIX, but not in any meaningful way. It
allowed people to buy Windows instead of Unix though and then merrily
ignore the POSIX subsystem in actual development.)

Today it's Java. The PicoLisp Java is actually cool in that it allows
you to integrate with any legacy system the customer might have in Java.
Also runtime performance is hardly an issue, given the popularity of
languages such as Groovy, which is really slow compared to alternatives.

I have until now ignored the state of the art with regards to the Java
flavor of PicoLisp, but when reading about your job peril, I take more
interest in it, since I have found that the "Java" word opens doors.
In this case it actually is a blessing that that "Java" is such an
ambiguous word  -  is it "Java"?  Yes, it runs on the Java runtime.
Check.

The Java version opens up the path to Android jobs - and I have an
impression that those are still a kind of Wild West. The customer there
often cares very little about which tech is used - getting an app out
quick is often what matters most.

best regards,
Jakob