I had already installed and tested the mplayer you recommend as well as
two other builds.

The BBC RealAudio streams plays OK but the other two rtsp streams fail.

AFAICT Compared to your playing of the streams, mplayer on two different
systems fail for at least two reasons:
1. the mpg123 codec not available
2. unable to resample audio to play on audio hardware.

My guess is that you have installed some additional codecs on your
system and your audio hardware is capable of play 22050 stream
directly.

I think there is a need to resample 22050 to 44100 to play on SB players
and so this may be one reason

As further diagnostics - can you execute the following commands and post
the output
mplayer -ao help
mplayer -afm help
mplayer -ac help