Sorry for delay in replying - real world was more important.

mitrih wrote:
> I will keep my fingers crossed ( you are saying you added this option to
> 1rc2 original mplayer and you were able to open it on your PC ?). Mine
> 1rc2 actually opens it without the option. I was just saying that it
> might be a good idea to think about integrating the new mplayer (
> instead of staying with 1rc2) because the new mplayer does open more
> streams that can play, for example
> rtsp://livestreaming.ositcom.net:1935/vdl/vdllb
> can only be opened with the new mplayer.  If this involves only small
> changes in the header file that would be wonderful. If it is a heavy
> lift, I would totally understand.

I added the standard mplayer option to the command line (for mplayer
built with live555 library only) - I did not add a new option to the
build - look at mplayer documentation.

The problem with rtrsp is that the non RealAudio stream were initially
defined to use UDP as the comms links were slow (< 56kps).  Now rtsp
links uses TCP but mplayer will try rtsp oever UDP first and that is the
cause of the delay in playing the stations. There is secondary problem
with these station in that mplayer initially asks the stations using
rtsp protocol and gets audio params and then tries to play with UDP
which fails. When mplayer then retries with TCP - mplayer "forgets" some
of the audio params it obtained in the initial exchange.  By explicitly
telling mplayer to use RTSP over TCP and avoiding the failed UDP attempt
, avoids the delay and also the audio param are remembered.  The same
issue can be avoided when using ffmpeg by either use the "-rtsp tcp"
option or adding "?tcp" at the end of the URL depending on version of
ffmpeg being used.

IMO The mplayer 1.0rc2 is stil the best player to use
1. It can play all your streams.
2. It has smaller memory footprint - typically half the other builds.
3. It can be run from a batch file without generating unnecessary output
which has to be discarded.  Other builds have changed so that if a user
chooses "-really-quiet" it must be run from a console - bizarre you must
use a console/terminal in order to request no output on the console.
4. It supports use of writing a wav format to a stream.  Other builds
will not allow a waveheader to be written to a stream and so all stream
must be resampled to a common format as there is no way to communicate
original streams audio parameters.  This will be unnecessary extra load
on processor and also unnecessary resampling.

> Also if you do not mind, can you tell me how to pipe the output of
> mplayer directly into SB for testing from the command line. for example
> mplayer rtsp://livestreaming.ositcom.net:1935/vdl/vdllb -ao PCM  #PIPE#
> $FILE$
> this way I can test with the new mplayers...

#PIPE# is substituted by the detailed of the named socket created by
socketwrapper which is used to provide the communication path between
LMS, mplayer, Flac and back to LMS.  Not relevant on a command line.
$FILE$ is subsituted by LMS to the file name being requrested .  Again
not relevant to command line.

Read the mplayer documentation on the "-ao" option .
"-ao pcm:waveheader:file=test.wav" writes the output in WAv format to
the file test.wav   If you play back a wav file - the player will pick
up the audio stream details (e.g. freq, sample size, no channels, bits
per sample, endian)  from the WAV file header.
"-ao pcm:nowaveheader:file=test.pcm" writes the raw PCM output to the
file test.pcm.  To play back you will need to explicitly supply all pcm
audio stream details.
Read the mplayer documentation for "-af" if you want to do resampling or
other changes to audio streams.

> I did more work on your idea -rtcp-stream-over-tcp. I tried it on my
> problematic streams with 1rc2 ( as I mentioned the new mplayers open all
> streams without this option). With this option 1rc2 opens all streams
> fine. However there is a hickup you can hear at the beginning, then it
> plays fine. I think SB is complaining about that and that translates to
> End of File error and SB stops processing the channels. So I cannot get
> any of them to play on SB even when I add that option to the convert
> file. Note also that this really has nothing to do with channel
> bandwidth, as the two other stations are 44.1. So I suggest you test
> first with the 44.1 stations to understand what is going on, then we can
> figure out the resampling on the last station. Here are the links I
> tried. As I mentioned none of this is high priority.. as I found a cross
> to the other stations, but it is good longterm to understand what is
> going on?
>
> rtsp://rmv8.bbc.net.uk:554/radio1coyopa/radio_1_-_friday_1900.ra  ( test
> stream 44.1KHz 2 channels)
> rtsp://stream.lebanese-forces.com/live/RLL/    (44.1KHz 2 channels)
> rtsp://livestreaming.ositcom.net:1935/vdl/vdllb  (44.1KHz 2 channels)
> rtsp://mobilestreaming.itworkscdn.com/radioorient/radioorient  (22.05KHz
> 2 channels)

RealAudio stream is different to all other stream.  It will play on a
clean PlayReal installation.  Forget RealAudio as it is not a test of
anything - it uses a different RTSP  and different codec.  The Plugin
knows the RealAUdio RTSP and so can enable burst mode loading of stream
for fast startup and implements "seeking" to a specific time in the
stream.  It is out of date for BBC.    If you want to play BBC - play
the WMA stream equivalent as it will play directly on player.

Regarding the other 3 rtsp URLs. The PlayReal plugin is set up for
RealAudio which is a different RTSP and so you need a different plugin -
not just a different conf file.

Attached is a plugin which I used to use for playing strange streams.
It enable passing a URL direct to mplayer and feeds output of mplayer
from LMS.  Just unzip and manually copy into the "server/Plugins"
directory in the Squeezecenter.   You will need to copy mplayer into the
Xplay\Bin directory.  The custom-convert.conf is setup for 1.0rc4
mplayer but I have included another convert.conf file for the later
mplayer build if you really want to use them.

To play a stream just prefix the stream by "xplay://"  and use "Tune-in"
or make a Favorite.  e.g
"xplay://rtsp://mobilestreaming.itworkscdn.com/radioorient/radioorient"
.  The Plugin strips the "xplay://" from the URL before passing it to
mplayer.

The plugin does not know what application is used to "play the stream"
so it could be changed to ffmpeg, avconv, vlc ...

|Filename: Xplay.zip                                                |
|Download: http://forums.slimdevices.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=15136|