I also don't have the problem.  I just used Tools and Mechanical Layers to
add layers 5-8 then turned them on and tried them out.  They all stayed when
I changed to a trace layer and even when the screen was redrawn.  I tried it
on an existing card and a new card and it worked in both places.  I am on
SP5 and use windows 2000 with 256K of RAM.  Of course I just sent my board
out last week and have the time to deal with it.

Marty