Heiko,
        very interesting. Now I am very interested. What sort of Protel
display setup parameters are you using? I assume you are not using single
layer. My mechanical layers 5 - 16 display just as though just they are set
to single layer display mode. When the layer is active, they display
properly. When I switch to another layer, mech layers 5 - 16 may display
until such time as the screen is redrawn and then they disappear.
        What sort of layer drawing order are you using? My display order is:
Current Layer
Connection Layer
Multilayer
Top Layer
Top Overlay
Bottom Overlay
Mechanical 4
Midlayer 1 - 14 (in numerical order)
Bottom Layer
Paste (2 layers)
Soldermask (2 Layers)
Internal Planes (4 layers numerical order)
Drill guide
Keepout
Mechanical layers (1 - 16 numerical order)
Drill Drawing
Visible Grids

        In display preferences I have only Convert Special strings,
Highlight in Full and Redraw Layers checked. At least as far as display
issues are concerned.

        Since this only effects the new mechanical layers 5 - 16, I had
immediately thought it was a typical P99SE new feature bug ("coding
deficiency" for those who are allergic to the word bug.  8^>).

Brad Velander,
Lead PCB Designer,
Norsat International Inc.,
#300 - 4401 Still Creek Dr.,